Rate this item
(0 votes)

The menu system utilized to access the books can be difficult to understand.  It could have been simpler in design, if only the various books themselves had fallen into one larger overriding category.  Such, however, is not the case.  This site will eventually house books covering those states for which there have been district histories and other more generalized books.

In the case of the various district histories there are many states that are split into three, or more, districts.  Pennsylvania has four districts: Eastern, Middle, Southern and Western.  And, each district may have more than one published history; such as the 1920 and 1955 histories for the Southern District of Ohio.  Thus there will be under the District menu link (when it is created) a link for Ohio > Southern District > 1920 as well as a 1955 menu item.  The menus will be logical in nature so that should be fairly easy to follow.

Such may not be the case for other Brethren historical works.  For instance, as of this writing there are two books online, The Minutes of the Annual Meetings of the Brethren — 1778 - 1917 and Some Who Led — Or — Fathers in the Church of the Brethren Who Have Passed Over.  One book is a biographical work while the other is non-biographical in nature.  Thus under the General menu link there will be a sub-menu item for each, Biographical and Non-biographical.

The only other envisioned menu item is one entitled "Congregational," or named something alike it, for the various and numerous congregations for which there are published histories.

Read 3956 times
More in this category: « Welcome

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Recently Added

  • The History… of the Potsdam Congregation, Page 10

    The History of the Potsdam Congregation
    of the Church of the Brethren

    Page 10— The History… of the Potsdam Congregation [Click for larger image] title=Page 10

    with the Englewood Dunkard Brethren Church. The remaining ministers were all well into their twilight years, soon there after passing. In 1949 it was decided in a congregational council meeting to secure a full time paid pastor. Work began that year by cutting trees from the church woods to use in the construction of the church parsonage. On September 1, 1950, L. John Weaver became our first pastor. With his resignation, Harley H. Helman served a year as interim pastor until 1964 when A. Butler Sizemore became the second pastor. He was followed in 1972 by Robert P. Fryman. Twenty five years ago, in 1979 the newly graduated Bethany Seminary student Robert W. Kurtz became our fourth and currant pastor. He has been assisted by Arthur A. Boston 1987-1994 and since 1996 by Alvin C. Cook as associate pastors. In 2002, Craig Brown became our first youth pastor. The wives of these ministers, Flora Weaver, Cora Helman, Norma Sizemore, Waneta Fryman, Jeannie Kurtz, Helen Boston, Phil Cook and Janey Brown have all added richly to the lives of our church family. Members of our Church Who Have Receiveda Callto the Ministry Joseph and Henry C. Longanecker were identical twin born in 1848 on the north edge of New Lebanon to deacon Benjamin Longanecker and his first wife Rebecca Welbaum. They with their wives were baptized at Georgetown in 1870, the year following their marriages, but soon moved away. Both were elected to the ministry in 1882, Joseph in the Union City IN church and Henry in the Berthold ND church. At the time of Henry’s death in 1920, they were the oldest twin ministers in the Church of the Brethren. These brothers served our Lord and Master an aggregate of eighty three years. Lester Heisey was baptized in 1898 at Potsdam and called to the ministry 17 Sep 1908 by the West Milton Church of the Brethren. From 1909-1914 he served the Charleston church near Chillicothe OH, 1914-1915 Price’s Creek church near Eaton OH, 1916-1919 Richland church near Mansfield OH, 1919-1930 Georgetown church and 1931-1932 the Pleasant Valley church near Union City OH. The Rock House Church of the Brethren in KY was made a separate congregation from its parent Wolfe Creek church 2 Sep 1932 with Lester answering the call to be its first pastor, serving until 1939. The town of Heisey KY was named in his honor. He commuted to his charge in KY while remaining a resident of Potsdam where he was ordained to the Eldership in 1942. He was an evangelist and missionary in addition to his service through the years in the free ministry. Foster L. Myers was elected to the ministry in 1938, serving our congregation through 1941 when he attended Bethany Seminary and was ordained by the First

    Be the first to comment! Read 1948 times
  • Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], page 248

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
    Publications, Volume XX

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 248 [Click for larger image]Page 248

    A VISIT. TO FORT ANCIENT. FELIX J. KOCH, CINCINNATI. [For some two weeks in the Summer of 1910, a portion of the Ohio National Guard encamped at Fort Ancient, and during their evolutions enacted a sham siege of the Fort. This interesting incident led to many comments in the newspapers concerning the modern military movements in the fortress that doubtless witnessed scenes of barbarian warfare centuries ago. In an article brought out by the incident above mentioned Mr. Felix J. Koch, the distinguished magazine and newspaper writer, speaks as follows concerning Fort Ancient. — E. O. R.] A little matter of two thousand years, more or less, is of no concern when history takes it into her head to repeat herself; and so, while it was at perhaps the time that the Egyptians were setting up the Pyramids, that here in the Western Hemisphere, the Mound-builders were waging bloody warfare at Ft. Ancient, where they had their largest fortress; today the Ohio National Guard have selected the same place as seat of their encampment and maneuvers. So history is repeating herself at Ft. Ancient; though the manner of the war of today and of that other day is a trifle different. A little jaunt to Ft. Ancient is one of the most delightful outings in the world, — notably in the autumn or the early springtime. The quickest way is by rail to Ft. Ancient Station, from Cincinnati; or else, if one have an eye to scenery, via Morrow, and then drive over-land. Enroute, you look up data about the fortress, — or you may procure a little guide on the grounds. Modern Ft. Ancient is just a sleepy river hamlet, a town of a tavern, before which gather village-wise acres, to concern themselves rather with the corn-crop and the pumpkin harvest and the sums made from summer campers on the Miami, than with the discussion of matters aboriginal. Still, there is a surfeit of literature on Ft. Ancient. Away back in 1809, the reports go, — mention was made of the Fort.

    Be the first to comment! Read 3116 times
  • Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], page 137

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
    Publications, Volume XX

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 137 [Click for larger image]Page 137

    LOGAN — THE MINGO CHIEF. 171 0-1780. [The Ohio tribes of Indians produced an extraordinary number of illustrious chiefs who figured large in the history of their race. Among these were Pontiac, Tecumseh, Cornstalk, Little Turtle, Blue Jacket and a score of others who left distinguished records as warriors, orators and tribal leaders. Among these perhaps no one gained a fame so wide as that acquired by Logan, the Mingo chief who refused to attend the Treaty of Camp Charlotte and at that time delivered the speech which has been recited by thousands of school boy declaimers. The following biography of Logan, probably as authentic as can now be obtained, is from the Draper Manuscripts — Border Forays, 2 D., Chapter 12 — in the Library of the Wisconsin Historical Society. The notes also herewith published were made by it recent student of the manuscripts. Both are published through the courtesy of Dr. Reuben G. Thwaites, Secretary of the Wisconsin Historical Society. — E. O. R.] During the last half of the seventeenth century, long and bloody wars were waged between the Five Nations of Indians and the white inhabitants of Canada. The savages killed or captured—as was ever their wont—regardless of age or sex. Among their prisoners was a boy, born in Montreal of French parentage and baptized in the Roman Catholic chnrch,2 who after being adopted into a family of Oneidas,3 of the Wolf clan,4 and given the name of Shikelimo,5 eventually married a wife of the Cayugas.6 Shikelimo became the father of several children,7 who, according to the Indian rule, were of the same tribe as the mother.8 In the course of time, he was raised to the dignity of a chief among the Oneidas9—the nation of his adoption. In the year 1728, having been by the Grand Council of the Iroquois "set over" the Shawanese,10 who then occupied contiguous territory to, and were held in subjection by, the Five Nations, Shikelimo removed with his family to a small Indian village on the east side of the West Branch of the Susquehanna, at a point about fourteen miles above its junction with the Northeast Branch,

    Be the first to comment! Read 2936 times