Written by  A. Wayne Webb
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
Publications, Volume XX

Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 353 [Click for larger image]Page 353

On Sunday, June 4. 1911, at 9:30 in the evening, at his beloved home in Mansfield, Ohio, the soul of General Roeliff Brinkerhoff took its peaceful flight to the eternal life beyond. At the time of his demise General Brinkerhoff was President Emeritus ROELIFF BRINKERHOFF.

Read 3364 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Recently Added

  • Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], page 61

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
    Publications, Volume XX

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 61 [Click for larger image]Page 61

    DELAWARE IN THE DAYS OF 1812. ALICE HILLS. [Miss Hills is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Delaware, Ohio, Chapter, for which she prepared the following bit of local history.] In the war of 1812, Ohio or a part o f it, was the scene of much military action in which our own country and town played no small part. Delaware, situated so nearly in the centre of the state about half way between Chillicothe, the capital and the scene of operations around Sandusky and Detroit, soon became the principal route for troops going from the Ohio River and Kentucky to the Lakes and Canada. In February, 1813, General William Henry Harrison on his way from Cincinnati to Sandusky (now Fremont), marched with one division of his army through Chillicothe and Franklinton, following the trail along the Scioto River and south of Stratford crossed over to the Olentangy. Here in what is known as Cole's cemetery, are buried two of his soldiers who died on this march. On reaching Delaware, the army entered the town by the principal road which skirted the river bank and which afterwards became Henry Street; they marched from there on up the street which is now Sandusky, named for the town which was Harrison's destination. Their route through Delaware along Henry Street was just a little east of the Deer Lick, which was known to the early settlers and to the Indians as the Medicine Water but which was later called the Sulphur Spring. As this Spring was far famed for the Medicinal qualities of its waters, what was more natural than that there should be a tavern near by where travelers could rest and drink the waters. This old tavern is interesting to us for more than one reason: besides being the point around which most of the business

    Be the first to comment! Read 3425 times
  • Some Who Led, page 8

    Some Who Led — Or — Fathers in
    the Church of the Brethren Who Have Passed Over

    Page 8 — Some Who Led [Click for larger image]Page 8

    Miller, David Alfred, 205 Miller, Robert Henry, 139 Mohler, Samuel S, 167 Moomaw, Benjamin Franklin, 90 Murray, Samual, 63 Naas, Johannes, 13 Nead, Peter, 38 Oller, Jacob F 136 Parker, Isaac Dillon, 198 Price, Isaac, 57 Puterbaugh, Amsey Hascall, 202 Quinter, James, 97 Saur, Christopher, 19 Sayler, Daniel P, 83 Snyder, Jacob S, 110 Stauffer, Daniel F, 183 Stoner, Ephraim, 173 Sturgis, Daniel B, 79 Thomas, Daniel, 128 Thomas, Jacob, 35 Trostle, Jacob D, 144 Umstad, John, 50 Vaniman, Albert, 216 Vaniman, Daniel, 175 Wine, Jacob, 73 Wine, Joseph, 134 Wise, John, 131 Wolfe, George, 31 Zigler, Samuel, 103 Zollers, George D, 186 Zuck, Jacob Martin, 194

    Be the first to comment! Read 1035 times
  • The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 2 (Oct., 1903), page 123

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 2 (Oct., 1903), page 123 [Click for larger image]The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 2 (Oct., 1903), page 123

    slept as well as we could. As we had nothing to eat, we had to fast, thanking the Lord that he had protected us this day. On November 16th, we started early from our lodging place and hurried to the next house to get a breakfast. When we arrived there, the good people had themselves no hread, but they were willing to serve us some Welsh corn* and butter-milk. The man seemed to be a pious Presbyterian. He praised Whitefield very much. We crossed the mountains and came to the James River, through which we had to swim. It was hard work, but we got through safely. We continued our journey till evening, seeing a country with mountains all around. In the evening we had to cross still another small river. Then we came to a house, where we had to lie on bear skins around the fire like the rest. The manner of living is rather poor in this; district. The clothes of the people consist of deer skins. Their food of Johnny cakes, deer and bear meat. A kind of white people are found here, who live like savages. Hunting is their chief occupation.† On November 17th, our path led through the mountains. We heard an awful howling of wolves in the morning, quite near. We wished them far away.! When we crossed the Catawba Creek a Quaker joined us, going with us three miles. In the afternoon we came to Justice Robeson, who owns a mill. Here we expected to get some bread. But his answer was: "There is not a bit of bread in the house." We went two miles further, * Probably hominy. used as a substitute for bread until the erection of mills. † The missionaries were then in the section now embracing the counties of Bath and Allegheny. The settlers who then resided there were sentries on the last outpost of civilization, with the Indians as their only neighbors upon the west. It may be properly noted here that the diaries confirm Kercheval's statement that peace with the Indians was not broken until subsequent to 1754, as the missionaries make no reference whatever to Indian troubles in any of the sections visited by them. ‡ Wolves were numerous in this section of Virginia for years after the date of this journey. A reward was given for wolf heads. and the County Court of Augusta made allowance in 175' for 256 heads. Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, p. 68 (1902).

    Be the first to comment! Read 775 times