Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.
the sloop the owner, John Benrose [Penrose], the captain, whose name was Sherwood, and a sailor. [The missionaries returned to Pennsylvania by way of New York, arriving at Bethlehem on April 10, 1744]. THE SITE OF OLD "JAMES TOWNE," 1607-1698.* BY SAMUEL H. YONGE. (Continued from page 276.) As the time of Newport's colony, immediately after its arrival in Virginia was occupied in exploring the country, building the stockade, and preparing a cargo for the return voyage of the ships, the building of quarters was neglected, and those erected were inadequate in number and afforded but imperfect shelter. The best of them were built of rails and roofed with marsh grass thatch covered with earth.† According to the "Breife Declaration," some of the settlers lived in holes in the ground, as is sometimes done on the western plains, where they are called "dug-outs." After Newport's departure, hot weather and general illness of the party supervening, the completing of the huts was prevented until the fall of 1607.‡ The first huts were destroyed by fire in January, 1608, and were not fully replaced until after Newport's departure for England, in April of that year,§ about which time the clearing of the four acres was begun. The huts which replaced those that were burned were more * Copyright, 1903, by Samuel H. Yonge. † Works, Captain John Smith, p. 957. (The references in this mono-graph to "Works, Captain John Smith," are from Prof. Edward Arbers edition.) ‡ lbid, pp. 10, 96, 392. § Ibid, pp. 105, 409.
J. C. Norris sold a lot in New Lebanon to the “old German Baptist Church” for twenty-five dollars on June 25, 1859. Located at 42 East Cross Street, the first meeting house of the Georgetown Fraternity of German Baptist was erected thereon in 1860. The Brethren of Brush Creek for the most part started migrating westward, resulting in its territory being ceded to the Salem district in 1869. At this juncture, Georgetown fell under the protective arm of both the Salem and Ludlow districts remaining so until the end of 1923. In just fifteen years, the growth of our congregation stretched the meeting house beyond its capacity. In 1875 a new larger house was erected. Herein lays a mystery veiled in time. Was this second meeting house erected on the original site or at our present site? Our present location at 22 East Cross Street was purchased for fifty dollars from the heirs of Daniel Snyder, including his widow the former Margaret Pippenger on January 24, 1884. Was this deed executed nine years after the fact or was the meeting house moved? Thirty seven years later, it became necessary to again enlarge and remodel the meeting house which was started in 1917. It was rolled south onto the parking lot, while the basement was dug. In rolling it back to the foundation, it was reversed, the former front becoming the back. Added to the existing structure were the classroom wings and a vestibule. All did not go as originally planned. “The dedication of our new churchhouse has been deferred on account of delay in getting the chairs for the Sunday-school rooms.” Gospel Messenger, June 1, 1918 “Notice.—The new churchhouse of the Ludlow and Salem congregations in Potsdam, Ohio, will be dedicated June 23. An all-day meeting has been arranged for, and the dedicatory sermon will be given in the afternoon. Mary Weisenberger, [sic] June 4.” Gospel Messenger, June 15, 1918 “The Church of the Brethren dedicated their new house on June 23rd. The gathering was large, about 2,500 people and automobiles numbering over 400. The weather was ideal. Thirty-six ministers of the Brethren were present. The eldest minister in age and service was Rev. Jesse Stutsman who has served the people over fifty years. Elder Van B. Wright gave a fine sermon in the morning and Rev. H[enry] C. Longanecker closed as one of the boys fifty years ago, being at the time referred to a boy of 19. At 2 p.m. Rev. Joseph Longanecker took charge of the dedication service and $2,000 was raised for the church. The sermon by Rev. J[ohn] W. Fidler was enjoyed by all present. In the evening Rev. Homer Bright and wife, Minnie Flory Bright gave fine talks about the missionary work in China. Thirty other ministers were present. Rev. Newton Binkley had charge of the services. In 1860 the first house of worship was built, the second in 1875 and now improved and enlarged in 1918.” Potsdam Correspondence, West Milton Record, June 26, 1918
PREFACE TO THIRD EDITION. The edition of the Minutes of the Annual Meetings of the brethren, published in A. D. 1886, by the authority of the Annual Meeting of the previous year having become exhausted, and there having arisen a considerable demand for another supply of these books, especially upon the part of the younger members of the Old German Baptist Church, a petition was brought to the Annual Meeting of 1916, asking that a new edition of said work be printed and that minutes passed by subsequent Annual Meetings be included with it. The petition was granted and the undersigned were appointed a committee to get the proposed new edition printed. The previous edition, comprising three parts or books (designated respectively, Book First, Book Second, and Book Third), each having its own separate index, it frequently was necessary to consult each of the three indexes in looking up all the decisions in the entire book, relating to certain questions. This! by many, was thought to be very inconvenient, and we learned that many brethren desired a more practical arrangement, or at least to have but one index for the three parts in the new edition. Accordingly, we concluded to combine the three indexes in one, which should serve for the whole book. This required time and close application and had considerable to do with delaying the work. The new general index in this edition will be readily understood, we believe. In looking for any subject it will be seen that, first, the book or part in which it first occurs is indicated, thus, Book I, Book II, Book III, as the case may be. This is followed by the number of page or pages in that book, whereon the subject is found. If the same subject be further treated in the books following, it will be indicated in the same way for each book.