The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
tydum [Antietam] and Canigotschik [Conococheague]. Major Monday went with them ftom "Manakesy" to the South Branch of the "Potomack." On July 12th, they passed over the South Mountain and came on the same day to the "Canigotschik," where they inspected a remarkable cave, which passes through the earth for 300 yards. In its opening 1,000 people can stand, then it separates into two branches. * * * * On the way they stopped at the house of the daughter of old father Loescher, and then they came to Jonathan Haeger, a friend of the brethren. Here they stayed over night. During a song service, held in the evening, Bro. Joseph baptized two children. The one was a daughter of Jonathan Haeger, the other a grand-daughter of Father Loescher. Jonathan Haeger intends to visit the congregation at Bethlehem before long. On July 13th, they started early. They visited several plantations and then came to Captain Baret, where Bro. Joseph preached to a number of people in English, with much blessing. They stayed there over night. On July 14th, they took their way northwest over the high mountains, which are generally called Blue or North Ridge, passing the mountain called "High Germany." In that district they saw the famous springs or mineral waters [literally fountain of health]. There are really six springs, rising close together, at the foot of a precipitous mountain, and forming a pretty large creek. The water is warm, not nauseous, but strong. They found only three people there. On July 16th, they came to Colonel Christopher Grissop,* who owns there a fertile piece of land. towards the source of the "Potomack," having bought it from the "Shawanos."‡ As it was late, they stayed there over night. On Sunday, July 17th, Bro. Joseph preached there an English sermon to a considerable number of people. They left on the * His name ought to be Colonel Thomas Cresap. He settled at Old Town. Alleghany county, Maryland, in 1741. See Scharf, History of Western Maryland, p. 1458. ‡ The Shawnee Indians. whose most easterly settlement was near the present site of Winchester, Virginia.