The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
the sloop the owner, John Benrose [Penrose], the captain, whose name was Sherwood, and a sailor. [The missionaries returned to Pennsylvania by way of New York, arriving at Bethlehem on April 10, 1744]. THE SITE OF OLD "JAMES TOWNE," 1607-1698.* BY SAMUEL H. YONGE. (Continued from page 276.) As the time of Newport's colony, immediately after its arrival in Virginia was occupied in exploring the country, building the stockade, and preparing a cargo for the return voyage of the ships, the building of quarters was neglected, and those erected were inadequate in number and afforded but imperfect shelter. The best of them were built of rails and roofed with marsh grass thatch covered with earth.† According to the "Breife Declaration," some of the settlers lived in holes in the ground, as is sometimes done on the western plains, where they are called "dug-outs." After Newport's departure, hot weather and general illness of the party supervening, the completing of the huts was prevented until the fall of 1607.‡ The first huts were destroyed by fire in January, 1608, and were not fully replaced until after Newport's departure for England, in April of that year,§ about which time the clearing of the four acres was begun. The huts which replaced those that were burned were more * Copyright, 1903, by Samuel H. Yonge. † Works, Captain John Smith, p. 957. (The references in this mono-graph to "Works, Captain John Smith," are from Prof. Edward Arbers edition.) ‡ lbid, pp. 10, 96, 392. § Ibid, pp. 105, 409.