Wednesday, 09 October 2013 22:02

The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 2 (Oct., 1904), page 137

Written by  A. Wayne Webb
Rate this item
(0 votes)

The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography

The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 2 (Oct., 1904), page 137 [Click for larger image]The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 2 (Oct., 1904), page 137

to see us once more. Several of the brethren visited John Tanneberger, who considered it a favor to have the brethren with him. We continued our journey, Bro. Neuser and Engel accompanying us to Xander's,7 where we arrived in the evening. As we passed over the bridge of the mill race it collapsed and it was certainly a miracle that our horses and wagon did not fall into the mill race. We thanked our dear Father for his protection. Bro. Xander was not at home, but his wife and daughter entertained us well. Bro. Neuser and Engel went home again to-night. On October 12, we rose at four o'clock and after the morning worship we breakfasted at five. At six o'clock we left. Several young men, who love the brethren, went with us part of the way and we were very happy and cheerful. After we had traveled eight miles a dead tree happened to fall on our horses, which caused considerable commotion, but it fell so neatly between the horses on the wagon tongue, that neither the brother, who rode on the horses, nor any of the horses were injured, only a piece of a collar was knocked off. This was certainly a very gracious preservation by our dear Father. To-day we shot several pheasants, quails and squirrels. In the evening we pitched the first camp in the woods, close to a creek, one mile this side of the Susquehanna. Everybody was busy in gathering wood and making fire. Bro. Erich took the cooking upon himself, and after we had eaten we spread our blankets and lay down upon them. We considered the question whether we should take father Loesch's wagon with us, because it seems that our heavy wagon cannot get along alone. But as we had not spoken about this to father Loesch, we could not conclude to do so. We appointed our night guards. Bro. Nathanael had the first two hours, he was relieved by Bro. Grube, and the gation at the Quittopahilla, settled in 1732, one mile east of the later town of Lebanon. When the Moravian movement began in Lebanon township, he became one of its main supporters. A schoolbouse was erected on his land in 1748. A church, called Hebron church, was built in 1750. See Register of Moravians, p. 125. 7 Henry Xander, a member of the Quittopahilla congregation, lived six miles west of the Hebron church. He was a miller by trade. See Alphabetical Register in Bethlehem archives.

Read 742 times Last modified on Monday, 30 December 2013 21:34

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.