The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
load for nothing. Two miles from our land we passed over the "Bufflers" [Buffalo] Creek, the passage of which was hard. A mile from our land we ate dinner. Bro. Gottlob and Nathanael had gone to the next plantation, which adjoins our boundary line. The people presented him with several bushels of turnips. Finally, at one o'clock, we came to the boundary line of our land,10 of which we were all very glad. We were heartily welcomed by our dear Gottlob and Nathanael. We tlhanked ovr Saviour very much that he had graciously brought us thus far and helped us through all difficulties. It is true, it frequently looked very dangerous, and often we knew no way out, but we always succeeded better than we imagined. We drove three miles farther on the new road, then turned to the left and cut another road, two and a half miles, to the little house which our brethren had found yesterday. Here we arrived in the eveninig and took up our quarters in our little hut. It is just large enough so that we can all lie round about along the wall. We at once made preparations for a little love feast, during whichi the wolves howled fiercely. With gratitude to God we lay down to rest, our dear Gottlob sleeping in his hammock. (TO BE CONTINUED) 10 In 1751, Lord Granville offered to the Moravians one hunldred thousand acres of land in North Carolina. On November 29, 1751, the offer was accepted by the Brethren in London. In the fall of the followinlg year, a party of Moravians, headed by Bishop Spangenberg, were sent to North Carolina to survey the land at a suitable place. In September, 1752, the Moravians, with a surveyor and two guides, started oni their perilous journey from Edentown. In December, 1752, after great difficulties, they reached the Yadkiin river. "Ten miles from the Yadkin river on the upper Pennsylvania road and some twenty miles from the Virginia line," along the Muddy creek, 72-73,000 acres were surveyed. The survey was approved by Lord Granville oni August 17, 1753. The diary of Spangenberg, from September 13, 1752-January 8, 1753, is published in the Colonial Records of North Carolina, Vol. V, pp. 1-14. The settlement, at first called Wachovia, is now Winston-Salem, in Forsythe county, N. C. For a full and interesting history of this settlement, see History of Wachovia in North Carolina, by John Henry Clewell. New York, 1902.