The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
love-feast, in connection with the communion by bread and wine; and with these sacred rites is joined the service of feet-washing, following the example of Christ as outlined in St. John, 13th chapter. The Dunkers combat pride, and practice plainness of dress. They endeavor to avoid law suits, and teach peace in personal as well as national relations; they oppose secret, oath-bound societies, divorce, slavery and intemperance. At certain periods in their history they have opposed higher education; but the organizers of the sect were educated men, and at present they own and operate ten or a dozen colleges in the United States. For authentic accounts of the Dunkers in brief, I would refer the reader to (1) The New International Enclycopaedia (Dodd, Meade & Co.), Vol. VIII, pp. 273. 274; (2) The Schaff-Herzog Enclycopaedia of Re/igious Knowledge, Vol. IV, pp. 2401-2404. For similar accounts of the Sieben-Taeger, see the latter of the two references just given; also New Int. Encyc., Vol. II, pp. 459, 460. For authentic and complete accounts of the Dunkers, and in their connection, yet in their distinction, of the Sieben-Taeger, also see (1) The History of tile German Baptist Brethren, by George N. Falkenstein. Germantown, Penn.; (2) The History of the Brethrm, by Dr. M. G. Brumbaugh, published by the Brethren Publishing House, Elgin, Ill. JOHN WALTER WAYLAND. TOMB OF MRS. URSULA (BYRD) BEYER LEY. Some years prior to the Civil War the tomb of Usurla, daughter of William Byrd (1st) and wife of Robert Beverley, the historian, remained in the churchyard at Jamestown, almost intact. A visitor fortunately copied the epitaph and sent it to a newspaper. It is as follows: [Arms.] .. Here lyeth the body of Ursula Beverley late wife of Robert Beverley, daughter of ye Hon'ble Col. William Byrd, who departed this life the last day of October 1698, being much lamented of all that knew her. Aged 16 years, 11 months and 2 daies." During the years immediately preceding the war the tomb was mutilated, and about 1861 only a piece containing the arms was left. Dr. Frank Hall, a Confederate soldier, while doing sentry duty in the churchyard, made on July 1, 1861, a sketch of the fragment. We are indebted to Miss Jane Chapman Slaughter for the copy of the drawing published in this number of the Magazine, and for information of its existence.