The History of the Potsdam Congregation
of the Church of the Brethren
all could not be accommodated. Bro. Murray preached the word with power. He gave a number of object lessons for the children which were helpful to us all. We feel that our church has been greatly strengthened. Nov. 8 we were favored by having Bro. Edward Frantz, of Elgin, Ill., with us. He gave a powerful message on peace. Mary Weisenbarger, Nov. 10.” Gospel Messenger, November 22, 1924 Those who gave their hearts to our Lord this first year were: Irene Arnett, Joseph Arnett, Carl Delk, Charles Eikenberry, Herbert Eikenberry, Neva Eikenberry, Paul Eikenberry, Ray Eikenberry, Ruby [Eikenberry] Erbaugh, Max Johnson, Olive [Green] Kley, Mildred McCowan, Miriam [Delk] Myers, Burlin Overholser, Harry Schenk and the remainder whose names do not appear in the registry. An all time record was set during the 1936 revival meetings held by Bro. Charles L. Flory when 33 were added to the fold. 1956 Remodeling Dedication “The Potsdam Church of the Brethren will worship this Sunday for the first time in its beautiful new sanctuary. For a number of weeks the congregation has been meeting in the remodeled basement. An 18x84 addition to the church has been completed, containing rest rooms, baby room, class rooms, vestibules, [and] Aid room. The new sanctuary will be complete with modern fold doors, gothic arch with installation for organ sounding chambers, new baptistery and carpeting on rostrom [sic] and aisles. Birch woodwork has been used throughout. A new birch pulpit and a new blond spinet piano have been purchased for use this Sunday also. Dedication for the $40,000 building project has been set for Sunday March 18th, with Rev. Bob Richards of Long Beach, Calif., as speaker. An eight-day revival meeting will begin Sunday evening. An invitation is given to all to attend.” West Milton Record, March 14, 1956 Rev. Robert E. Richards, pastor of the Long Beach Church of the Brethren, was an Olympic pole vault bronze medalist in 1948 and won gold medals in both 1952 and 1956. Thousands attended his week long preaching mission at Milton-Union High School. “Over 625 gathered at the Potsdam Church of the Brethren Sunday afternoon to attend the dedication services of the sanctuary of that church. The time was 2:30, but cars started pouring into the village long before that time, quickly filled the parking lots of both the celebrating church and the United Missionary church, streets were lined, in fact the town was filled with cars. The seating capacity of the first floor was taxed, including the vestibules.