The History… of the Potsdam Congregation, Page 7

Rate this item
(0 votes)

The History of the Potsdam Congregation
of the Church of the Brethren

Page 7— The History… of the Potsdam Congregation [Click for larger image] title=Page 7

Approximately 100 were in the basement where the public system brought them the procedure of the program. It was a thrilling experience for the Potsdam pastor, Rev. L. John Weaver, and the congregation to have so many interested people attend the service. For 15 minutes immediately preceding the program, Shirley Nies and Jean Besecker, a musical duet, entertained with vibraharp and piano. The call to worship was participated in by the minister and the people, preceding the invocation by Rev. Wm. Hygema, pastor of the United Missionary church. Special musical numbers were presented during the program by the ladies octet and by Bernis Cassell, soloist. Congregational singing was also inspiring. The scripture lesson was read and prayer invoked by Elder Philip H. Lauver. Rev. Moyne Landis, district executive secretary, extended greetings from the Southern Ohio district. A historical sketch was prepared and read by Harry Delk, chairman of the building committee. The keys were accepted by Roy Landis, chairman of the board of trustees. The audience was delighted to hear Rev. Robert E. Richards of Long Beach, Calif., as he delivered a most impressive dedicatory sermon. It was a masterpiece which all appreciated. The Litany of Dedication was led by the pastor, Rev. L. John Weaver and participated in responsively by the audience. The dedication offering, the prayer of dedication and the hymn of dedication immediately preceded the benediction by Rev. Harley Brown of the Potsdam EUB church. The building committee was composed of Harry Delk, chairman; Harold Ditmer, vice-chairman and treasurer; Harris Shanck, secretary; Carl Arnett, Frank Dearth, Emerson Ditmer, Emerson Swank and Wilbur Bright. The latter two named served until Oct. 1, 1955. Ralph E. Reck was the general contractor; Kessler Plumbing Co. were plumbing and heating contractors; P.O. Sprout, electrician; Chas. B. Krug, painting; and Harold Ditmer, parking lot improvements. In presenting the keys Sunday, Chairman Delk said: “We enjoy today a beautiful house of worship. Let us be diligent in seeking that it is cared for, by all in a way fitting to the house of God and preserved for those who follow after us.” West Milton Record, March 21, 1956 Sunday School Joseph Ruble organized the church’s first Sunday-school in 1889, serving as both superintendent and teacher until his death in 1917. During its beginning

Read 2583 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.