RECOLLECTIONS OF NEWAR K. ISAAC SMUCKER. [Mr. Isaac Smucker was born in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, in 1807 and became a citizen of Newark, Ohio, in 1825, as he relates in the article herewith published. He early became an in influential and distinguished personage in his community. In 1837-8 he was a member of the Ohio Legislature and might have held other offices of greater prominence but he preferred the less conspicuous life and the opportunity it gave to indulge in his literary and historical tastes. He wrote much in the lines just mentioned and his writings were accepted by the leading magazines of the country. He was especially interested in the archaeology and history of Ohio and for many years was a member of the Ohio State Archæological & Historical Society. In 1867 he was the main factor in the organization of the Licking County Pioneer, Historical and Antiquarian Society, before the meetings of which he read many papers and delivered many addresses of great interest and value. The paper herewith published for the first time was read by him be fore that Society in the year 1868. Mr. Smucker died January 31 , 1894. — Editor.] In 1825, which was forty-three years ago, the writer arrived at Newark, after a journey across the Alleghanies, of four hundred miles, performed on foot, which, at that time, was the usual mode of travel with men of very limited funds. Those of more means travelled on horseback, while those most liberally supplied with cash took to the family carriage, or to the public stage. The then very small village of Newark was reached at about nine o'clock at night. It was a very pleasant starlight or moonlight night,—just light enough to indicate to a weary traveler who had safely crossed the ricketty old bridge across the North Fork and reached the western termination of East Main Street, and there taken his position just between the "Cully and Green House" tavern, deliberately viewing the situation from this point of observation, that the "Public Square" was too extensively dotted with ponds of large and small proportions, to render it altogether a safe operation to venture forward without a guide.