Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
Publications, Volume XX

Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 255 [Click for larger image]Page 255

THE CINCINNATI MUNICIPAL ELECTION OF 1828. MARY BAKER FURNESS, CINCINNATI. Cincinnati began its existence as a city under its first charter, March 1, 1819. By an act of the General Assembly passed January 26, 1827, a new charter was granted, which superseded the old one, and did away with all the legislation which had been enacted under it. According to this second charter, the city boundaries began with the "Ohio River, at the east corner of partial section No. 12, running west with the township line of Cincinnati to Mill Creek, then down Mill Creek with its meanders to the Ohio River, then eastwardly up said river with the southern boundary of the State of Ohio, to the place of beginning." The city area was coterminous with that of the township of Cincinnati. The northern boundary, as nearly as I can determine, was the line of Liberty Street extended to the Ohio on the east. The chief municipal officers under the second charter were, the mayor, elected biennially, and three trustees from each ward, who formed the council. The city was divided into four wards by two lines crossing at right angles, Third Street running east and west, Main Street running north and south. The First Ward was in the northeast, the Second in the northwest, the Third in the southeast and the Fourth in the southwest. March 2, 1827, by virtue of powers vested in them by the charter the council divided the Second Ward by an east and west line from Main Street a long Sixth to the corporation line. That portion north of Sixth and west of Main was the Fifth Ward. On March 21, 1827, the boundaries of the Third and First Ward were changed, by an east and west line, which "began on Main at the intersection of Third, and ran eastwardly along the center of Third to Ludlow, thence eastwardly along the center of Symmes to High, and along the center of High to a point on the street bearing north 16° from the center of the cupola of David Kilgour's house near the reservoir, and by the

Page 32 of 65