This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
FOUR CYCLES: A CENTENNIAL ODE. Prepared in commemoration of the centennial anniversary of Pickaway County The Poem is descriptive of Circleville, the county seat. MAY LOWE. PRELUDE. The grape vine and the sycamore Cast shadows long and deep, On the surface of the river Near whose banks the thousands sleep — Men of mystery, who from silence Of the dim past settled here, Wrought their mighty deeds of valor, Left a record written clear Of their learning and their prowess, In the circle and the square; Left a name for future builders, In the circle and the square.
BIRTH PLACE OF LITTLE TURTLE. CALVIN YOUNG , GREENVILLE. The village where Little Turtle was born in 1752 was located on the north tributary of the Eel River, twenty miles northwest of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, in Whitney County. This north tributary is known today as the Blue River Branch, near its junction at Blue Lake, to which it furnished an outlet only a short distance away. It stood on the west side of the river on a high sandy point of land, surrounded on three sides by a great bend in the river. A wide prairie marsh skirted those high lands north and south, but on the east the high banks neared each other, making it an easy ford to the north bank of the lake only a few hundred yards to the eastward. The Blue Lake contained possibly five hundred acres. Near the foot of the hill, immediate to the south, a fine spring of water bubbled forth underneath the shade of a beautiful grove of barren oak trees. A short distance south of the spring nestling in the middle of the prairie was a small lake containing four or five acres, and so very deep that the water looked a dark blue. It was called by the Indians "Devil's Lake", from the fact that something mysterious had appeared in or near it entirely unknown to Indian lore during a dusky Summer evening, at which the Indians became terribly frightened and ran all the way to Ft. Wayne then a frontier outpost. Along about 1863, and for a number of years later, the writer has been on this peculiar ancient village site many times, where Little Turtle was born, and which was his home nearly all his life. Along the river banks were Indian trails, worn several inches deep, which not only spoke of primitive, but also of recent times, as it was a flourishing village in 1812, and, possibly, was not entirely deserted until 1846, at which time the Indians were all removed to the West. It seemed that Nature had provided here with a lavish hand
was promised to him, and thus we left Virginia, commending it to the Lamb. In the evening we came to Jonathan Haeger, [near Hagerstown, Md.], where we stayed over night.* PROCEEDINGS OF THE VIRGINIA COMMITTEE OF CORRESPONDENCE, 1759-'67. From the Originals in the Virginia State Archives. (CONTINUED.) [PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMMITTEE, APRIL 30, 1762.] April 30th, 1762. At a Committee held at the Capitol, April 30, 1762. Present: The hon'ble Wm. Nelson & Peter Randolph, Esqrs, Jno. Robinson, Peyton Randolph, B. Waller, G. Wythe, & R. C. Nicholas, Esqrs. Mr. Nelson laid before the Board a Lr he had some time ago wrote to Mr. Montague in Behalf of Col. Churchill representing him as an Object of Charity & desiring him to assist the Representation of some of the principal. Ordered that a Com. be appointed to prepare a Lr to the Agent to furnish him with Instructns for supporting the Act of the last Sessn of Assembly for raising a new Regiment & orders a new Emission of Paper Money for their Support; Also the Act of a former Sessn for appointt a Com. to burn the Treasury Notes paid into the Treasury & of all other public Acts in which it may be necessary for him to give his Assistance for their Support * The missionaries, during this journey, passed through territory now comprising the counties of Hampshire, Hardy and Pendleton, in West Virginia, and Highland, Bath, Alleghany, Roanoke, Montgomery, Botetourt, Rockbridge, Augusta, Rockingham, Page, Shenandoah and Frederick in Virginia.