Thursday, 02 January 2014 07:30

Discussion #2

This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822).  Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio.  When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815).  Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875.  In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts.  In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds.  To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.

Published in Research Blog

Recently Added

  • Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], page 471

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society
    Publications, Volume XX

    Ohio Archæological and Historical Society Publications, Volume XX [1911], Page 471 [Click for larger image]Page 471

    THE ICE AGE IN NORTH AMERICA. The Bibliotheca Sacra Company, Oberlin, Ohio, has recently issued a fifth and revised edition of " The Ice Age in North America, and Its Bearings Upon the Antiquity of Man." The author is Professor G. Frederick Wright, President of the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society. No writer could be better qualified for such a scholarly and informing work. Professor Wright has been a most conscientious and broad student of theology, and the language and literature of the Old and New Testaments. For some ten years he was professor in Oberlin College, on the harmony of science and religion. Professor Wright is also an accomplished scholar in geology and relative natural sciences. He was assistant on the Pennsylvania and United States Geological Surveys and is the author of several works of a geological character, bearing upon the formation of the earth's surface, not only in America but Europe and Asia, which countries he has visited at length in order to procure his material at first hand. Especially have his studies been directed to the American Continent and for this work, now reissued in enlarged and revised form, the author has given the ripest and best part of his life. When the first edition of this work was issued, in 1889, Professor Wright had been for fifteen years prominent in glacial investigations. He had published numerous articles in the scientific journals recounting his discoveries in New England, had traced the southern boundary of the glaciated region in America from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River, and published the results in Vol. Z. of the Pennsylvania Reports, and in Tract No. 60, of the Western Reserve Historical Society of Cleveland, which had kept him in the field for three years. His delineation of the glaciated boundary east of the Mississippi is that found on all maps at the present time. Later he completed investigations in this area and published the results in Bulletin No. 58 of the U. S. Geological Survey. In 1886, the opportunity came for him to visit Alaska and make protracted observations on the Muir Glacier, which though beginning to be visited by tourists had not been subjected to scientific scrutiny, and it was four years before any other scientific investigations of the glacier were carried on. He was then invited to give a course of Lowell Institute Lectures in Boston upon the subject that is the title of this book. Thus it appears that Professor Wright was unusually prepared for his work, so that it was not strange that his book took rank at once as the standard publication on the subject. The first edition of 1,500 copies, though sold at $5.00 a copy, was disposed of during the first season. Since then three more editions have been called for and the demand was such that the author has felt justified in spending a large amount of time and money in bringing the treatise up to date in this fifth revised and enlarged edition. Speaking of the fifth and latest edition, the veteran geologist, Pro-

    Be the first to comment! Read 3913 times
  • The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 3 (Jan., 1904), page 239

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 3 (Jan., 1904), page 239 [Click for larger image]The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XI, No. 3 (Jan., 1904), page 239

    line. For an hour and a half they climbed the very steep ascent, but when they reached the top they surveyed in every direction an exceedingly wide region, and it seemed to them as if the whole earth were at their feet.* On account of its remarkable height, they called the mountain "Fuersten Spitz" [Prince Peak]. In passing over the top and in their descent they spent four full hours. As it was evening and they missed the road, they happened to strike an "elk trail," which took them between two mountains.† Here they passed the night, hungry and thirsty, encamped at their fire. They were frequently visited by the elks, which are numerous in those mountains. On the following morning, July 26th, they came to a marked path. It brought them to a salt lick, which is frequented by the elks and where they are usually shot by the hunters. A kind spirit led them to the right way, by which they continued their journey, till they came in the evening to a German plantation. Here Adam Roeder‡ lives, whose mother, eighty-six years of age, lives at Makuntsche [Macungie, now Emmaus, Lehigh county, Pa.], and belongs to that congregation. * The region seen by the missionaries from the top of "Fuersten Spitz" is now comprised in the counties of Augusta, Rockingham and Shenandoah. † This was probably Brock's Gap, one of the most important passes through the North Mountain. ‡ Adam Rader. The missionaries were now in the vicinity of Timberville, Rockingham county, Va. About one mile west of this place stands Rader's Church, which is known to be one of the oldest places of worship in Rockingham, although the date of the organization of the congregation cannot be given definitely. The first reference to the Reformed congregation worshipping in Rader's Church is found in the diary of Rev. Charles Lange, pastor at Frederick, Md, who visited the congregation on April 17, 1768. See Fathers of the Reformed Church, Vol. II, p. 154. From the beginning until 1879 it was used jointly by the German Reformed and Lutheran denominations. In that year a new church was built by the Lutherans for their sole use, the German Reformed congregation shortly afterwards erecting a church at Timberville.

    Be the first to comment! Read 864 times
  • The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 1 (Jul., 1904), page 59

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography

    The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 1 (Jul., 1904), page 59 [Click for larger image]The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XII, No. 1 (Jul., 1904), page 59

    July 19th. Sunday. Many people assembled, to whom I preached. The power of God and of the blood of Christ was felt among the hearers. Soon afterwards we bade farewell to our host, who had entertained us very kindly for four days. They wished us much success and blessing on our journey, asking us, if we should again come to their neighborhood, to visit them by all means. We would be welcome day or night. After wishing the Lord's peace upon them, we left them and traveled eight miles farther. July 20th. We started early on our way. We found no house for twelve miles, but met a large rattle snake, which barred our way, makiiig much noise. But wvhen we approached, it could not harm us, for the Lord protected us. Soon we met another one, which fled before us. We could not thank the Saviour enough for his gracious protection. At noon we stopped with an Englishman. He complained that for two years he had heard no sermon, although he had been compelled every year to pay the county minister. I had an opportunity of speaking with him about the assurance of faith. In the afternoon we again met no house for ten miles, but we struck high mountains12 and hot weather. In the evening we came to a house where it looked pretty bad, internally as well as externially, but the people were very jolly. July 21st. After marching twelve miles, we found a house and hoped to secure a breakfast, but as nobody lived in the house, a biscuit which I had carried about for fourteen days did good service. This we ate, while resting at a creek, and drank water to our heart's content. We traveled again six miles, when we found another plantation, butt the people told us they had just eaten the last bit of bread. Hence we stayed till the woman had baked some bread for us. Then we continued, wading through the North River [North Branch of Shenandoah]. We stayed over night with an Irishman. July 22nd. Leonhard [Schnell] had a bad attack of fever, which 12 The missionaries were crossing the North Moutntain, to get into the Shenandoah Valley.

    Be the first to comment! Read 838 times