This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
On November 13th, we started early. A German woman gave us a piece of bread and cheese for the way. A man who traveled our way to-day was of much assistance to us, as we had no house for twenty miles. Moreover, the forest was very dense, and it was difficult to find the way. To-day we came to the source of the South Fork* and, although we had to cross the water more than thirty times. (the people had urgently warned us not to take this road as we had no horse), yet the Lamb helped us safely through all difficulties. In the evening we lodged in an English cabin (thus they call the English houses there). It was quite cold. But the bear skins upon which we rested and the fire before us which kept us warm, rendered us good services. We had yet a piece of bread left, and as the people had none, we divided it with them. They gave us some of their bear meat, which can be found in every house in this district. On November 14th. we went on our way with a happy feeling. We had to wade through the water frequently. We stayed with a Welshman over night, but he did not trust us very much. We engaged him to take us through the river with his horse, because it is quite large; it is called "Kauh Pastert."† On November 15th, we traveled in the company of a Welshman, George Luys; he took us twelve times through the river [Clover Creek, Highland County]. Traveling was difficult to-day, for we had to cross rather high mountains, and, moreover it rained. Night overtook us before we reached a house and had passed through the water. At last we could no longer see the way and had to stay wht!re we were. Fortunately. we found a little hut, in which no one was at home. Here we stayed. thanking God for the shelter. We made fire, and after drying our clothes we * The South Fork of the South Branch rises in the extreme southern portion of Pendleton county, West Virginia. † Cow Pasture River. The missionaries were then within the limits of the present county of Highland. and probably reached the James River in the vicinity of Clifton Forge. From there the missionaries seem to have followed the road to Fincastle, Botetourt county, to Salem, Roanoke county, to Christiansburg, Montgomery county, and finally to the neighborhood of Newbern, in Pulaski county.
we were heartily welcomed. We also found our Bro. Christian Rauch there, who had arrived shortly before. Our dear brethren, Merk and Ziegler, who had brought our wagon thus far, told us their experiences on the way. They said that it had taken them four days to come to "Tulpehokin", and that they had endured many things, because it had rained much and the read had been very muddy. On October 10, our dear Gottlob conducted the morning worship. Afterwards, we held a little conference about our wagon, which is too wide, extending several inches beyond the track. We unloaded the wagon and took it to a blacksmith shop. Our baggage, which was pretty wet, we dried in the sun. Mother Loesch supplied us with the necessary provisions for the journey. Bro. Christian Rauch5 bade us a hearty farewell and went back home across the "Quittopehille" [creek]. Bro. Beroth went to see his father once more, across the Susquehanna where he will join us again. Bro. Nathanael wrote a letter to Bro. Bader, who is now at York on the Catores [Codorus], to let him know of our journey to Carolina. In the evening, when our wagon had been fixed, having been made three inches nar-rower, we packed all our belongings, to leave early next morning. On October 11, we rose early and prepared for our departure. We sent several letters to Bethlehem with the brethren from "Tonigal " [Donegal, Lancaster Co.] Our dear father Loesch gave us his wagon to accompany us across the Susquehanna. Mother Loesch provided us plentifully with bread and meat. Then we took our leave of our dear friends, and thanked them heartily for all their pains and care, undergone for our sake. They both cried like children. They were especially touched because they would not see their two sons (Jacob and Herman) for some time. At noon we came to our schoolhouse in "Quittopehille" and took our dinner there. Our dear friends, Neusers and Engels welcomed us very heartily and we rejoiced with them. Bro. Peter Kucher6 fed our horses. He was very glad 6 Christian Henry Rauch was, in 1753, pastor of the Moravian congregation in Warwick township, now Lititz, Lancaster Co. 6 Peter Kucher, the most prominent member of the Moravian congre-
CELEBRATION OF THE SURRENDER OF GENERAL JOHN H. MORGAN. An account by Morgan’s Captor, Major George W. Rue On September 21, 1910, there was celebrated on the Crubaugh Farm, South of Lisbon, Columbiana county, near the historic spot where the event occurred, the 47th Anniversary of the Surrender of the Confederate Raider, General Morgan. Concerning the celebration the East Liverpool Tribune of September 22 , 1910, made the following comment: Romance and intrigue combined to make history in that hot July of 1863, when handsome, foolhardy General John H. :Morgan, cavalier debonaire of the southland, and idol of the famous blue grass region of Kentucky, dashed from under cover of his native heath, through Indiana, into Ohio, and finally reached the highest point ever attained by a Confederate force before he was captured on the Crubaugh farm near West Point by another equally as intrepid as himself, also a Kentuckian by birth, but arrayed on the side of the Union, Major George W. Rue. Morgan, the Confederate raider, has passed into the great beyond, but yesterday East Liverpool and Columbiana county was honored by the presence of his captor, Major George W. MAJOR GEO. W . RUE.