This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
Compiled by Gale Honeyman Lay-out by Linda Stephens Xeroxing by Jeannie Kurtz Brother Heisey’s portrait courtesy of granddaughter:Ruth Esther Shearer June 13, 2004 revised 2nd printing June 23, 2004
V. MISSINOTTY [MASSANUTTON]. It lies on the South Branch of the "Chanador," in the center, between the so-called "Missinotty" mountains and the Blue Ridge. It is a narrow. small and oblong district, which can easily be viewed in its entirety frum the mountains.* Many Germans live there. Most of them are "Mennisten" [Mennonites], who are in a bad condition.† Nearly all religious earnestness and zeal is extinguished among them. Besides them, a few church people live there, partly Lutheran, partly Refurmed. The Rev. Mr. Klug visits them occasionally. It is, so to say, one of his branch congregations [preaching stations]. He preaches and administers also the Lord's Supper to them. They do not want to hear the preaching of the brethren at this place. A man lives there by the name of Matthias Selzer, the son-in-law of Jacob Beyerly, of Lancaster. This man is highly respected in the whole region, because he is rich and often helps the people in their need. He has considerable influence among them, but he is a bitter enemy of the brethren. As a result, all the others are not just our friends. VI. THE UPPER GERMANS.‡ They live behind [east of] the Blue mountains, about thirty miles from "Missinotty," in a straight line, otherwise it may be *This statement clearly implies that the entire section of country now known as the Page Valley was originally known as Massanutton, and that the term is not to be understood as meaning a single settlement in one particular neighborhood. This fact may be of value in future discussions as to the exact location of the first white settlement in the Valley of Virginia. † The Mennonites are followers of Menno Simons (149--1559). They are a somewhat primitive people in their manners and customs, being non-combatants and abstaining almost entirely from participation in public affairs. While not numerous, congregations of this denomination are still to be found in Rockingham, Shenandoah and Page. ‡ This settlement was composed of German Lutherans, the second colony to locate at or near Germanna. They came in 1717 and consisted of twenty families numbering about eighty persons. The third colony came at some time between 1717 and 1720 and numbered forty families. These colonists removed from Germanna prior to the year 1724 and
Then we went down hill. We had to lock the wheels again, anid hang a tree to the wagon, of which all of the brethren took hold. Thus we reached our tent safely. As we had several steep hills before us, we crossed them before evening, and then pitched our tent at a little creek. We left our horses go into the woods. We were all very tired and sleepy, and for this night we left the angels watch. On November 4, we found an almost impassable way and were compelled to remove many trees. Our wagon stuck fast in a mud hole and it took two hours before we could get it out. (The pulley was of much service to us.) After a mile we found water again, after four miles we came to a little creek, where we ate our dinner. We had a good road thus far. In the afternoon we crossed "Maggedi Creek."3 Nearby dwells Benjamin Reh, an old man of some ninety years, and his wife who is about a hundred years old. They are both active and cheerful people, who gave us milk to drink and were very friendly. Close to this house is a deep mud hole, then follows a steep hill almost immediately. Here. we came upon the "Warrick Road," which runs mostly westward and is a pretty good road. Two miles farther we came to a small creek, three miles farther we pitched our tent near a large creek. We had to watch our horses closely in this place, for we had heard that there were people in this neighborhood who steal horses. We prepared dumplings this evening, which tasted very well. After the evening worship we lay down to rest. On November 5, we rose early. For several miles we had a good road, running along on the mountains. After having driven five miles we came to Mr. Robert Kohl's, a justice of the peace, from whom we bought some corn. He is a very modest man. He regretted very much that he had not known of our comning or he would have gone to meet us and shown us a better and nearer way, so that we could have avoided the high moun-tains and many hills. The way had not been cut out completely, but as we had so many hands, we could easily have done it. He would see to it that this way would soon be made. Some of the brethren stayed here and helped to husk several bushels of corn, 3 This is Magotty creek in Franklin county.