This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
Isaac Ditmer 1862-1937 Lovina [Cunning] Ditmer 1859-1937 Irene [Bridenbaugh] Ditmer 1888-1961 John Henry Ditmer 1851-1930 Susanna [Steffey] Ditmer 1853-1930 Michael Ditmer 1856-1927 Rollin Ditmer 1883-1960 Jennie [Christian]Eikenberry 1887-1974 Josiah Eikenberry 1886-1967 Mina [Waitman] Eikenberry 1884-1959 Dale Fourman 1908-1965 Fanny [Christian] Fourman 1888-1976 Galen Fourman 1910-1982 Phares Fourman 1887-1967 Gladys [Hoke] Furlong 1903-1885 Anna Galbreath Ethel [Miller] Ganger 1886-1966 John Henry Ganger 1869-1955 Leonard Ganger 1908-1982 Zora [Delk] McCowenGanger 1884-1936 Lilly [Black] Green 1880-1963 Alice [Nease] Hall 1888-1975 Amos Hall 1864-1958 Elizabeth [Ditmer] Hall 1867-1927 Esther [Baker] Hall 1908-2002 Oscar Hall 1896-1983 Perry Hall 1864-1957 Samuel Hall 1883-1959 Estella [Miller] Hall 1900-1969 Susie [Clement] Hall 1868-1948 John Heckman 1864-1940 Lulu [Miller] Heckman 1910-2000 Mary [Ganger] Heckman 1877-1953 Emma [Miller] Heisey 1882-1944 Lester Heisey 1881-1950 Forest Henderson 1912-2004 Harold Henderson 1910-1975 Homer Henderson 1904-1993 Velma [Schenk] Hepner 1908-1994 Arthur Hess 1855-1929 Caroline [Cornor] Hess 1855-1925 Charles Hissong 1872-1954 Sadie [Hall] Hissong 1885-1973 Lovina [Miller] Hoffman 1908-1971 David E. Hoke 1870-1939 David C. Hoke 1909-1984 Edna Hoke 1899-1947 Lina [Dohner] Hoke 1872-1954 Dorothy [Myers] Honeyman 1905-1990 Lola [Longanecker] Henderson Honeyman 1883-1967 Ruth [Miller] Hypes 1914-1993 Charles Isenbarger 1866-1941 Dora [Falknor] Isenbarger 1868-1955 Andrew Jackson Johnston 1872-1943 Audrey [Bowman] Johnston 1896-1968 Arrabell [Norris] Johnston 1879-1960 Edward Johnston 1893-1984 Elgar Johnston 1906-1959 Ella [Kress] Johnston 1867-1953 John H. Johnston 1868-1937 Treva Johnston 1903-1995 Mary [Hoke] Kauffman 1904-1973 Emma [Wolfe] WestermanKress 1881-1962 William Kress 1870-1949 Alice [Besecker] Kunkleman 1909-1997 Nancy [Timmons] CarsonLambert 1852-1929 Levi Litten 1864-1927 Rosetta [Netzley] Litten 1865-1932 Davis Longanecker 1857-1946 Lydia [Isenbarger]Longanecker 1857-1931 Anna [Puterbaugh]McGillvary 1901-1984 Treva Marshall c1901- Curtis Miller 1903-2001 David Miller 1906-1992 Elizabeth [Gordon] Miller 1858-1943 Harley Miller 1880-1958 Isaac Miller 1868-1931 John Miller 1844-1925 Martha [Stager] Miller 1880-1962 Sarah [Falknor] Miller 1844-1929 Calvin Minnich 1880-1947
SOMEWHO LED Or Fathers in the Church of the Brethren Who Have Passed Over WRITTEN and COMPILED By D. L. Miller and Galen B. Royer “Lives of great men all remind us We can make our lives sublime, And departing, leave behind us Footprints in the sands of time.” BRETHREN PUBLISHING HOUSE Elgin, Ill. 1912
all could not be accommodated. Bro. Murray preached the word with power. He gave a number of object lessons for the children which were helpful to us all. We feel that our church has been greatly strengthened. Nov. 8 we were favored by having Bro. Edward Frantz, of Elgin, Ill., with us. He gave a powerful message on peace. Mary Weisenbarger, Nov. 10.” Gospel Messenger, November 22, 1924 Those who gave their hearts to our Lord this first year were: Irene Arnett, Joseph Arnett, Carl Delk, Charles Eikenberry, Herbert Eikenberry, Neva Eikenberry, Paul Eikenberry, Ray Eikenberry, Ruby [Eikenberry] Erbaugh, Max Johnson, Olive [Green] Kley, Mildred McCowan, Miriam [Delk] Myers, Burlin Overholser, Harry Schenk and the remainder whose names do not appear in the registry. An all time record was set during the 1936 revival meetings held by Bro. Charles L. Flory when 33 were added to the fold. 1956 Remodeling Dedication “The Potsdam Church of the Brethren will worship this Sunday for the first time in its beautiful new sanctuary. For a number of weeks the congregation has been meeting in the remodeled basement. An 18x84 addition to the church has been completed, containing rest rooms, baby room, class rooms, vestibules, [and] Aid room. The new sanctuary will be complete with modern fold doors, gothic arch with installation for organ sounding chambers, new baptistery and carpeting on rostrom [sic] and aisles. Birch woodwork has been used throughout. A new birch pulpit and a new blond spinet piano have been purchased for use this Sunday also. Dedication for the $40,000 building project has been set for Sunday March 18th, with Rev. Bob Richards of Long Beach, Calif., as speaker. An eight-day revival meeting will begin Sunday evening. An invitation is given to all to attend.” West Milton Record, March 14, 1956 Rev. Robert E. Richards, pastor of the Long Beach Church of the Brethren, was an Olympic pole vault bronze medalist in 1948 and won gold medals in both 1952 and 1956. Thousands attended his week long preaching mission at Milton-Union High School. “Over 625 gathered at the Potsdam Church of the Brethren Sunday afternoon to attend the dedication services of the sanctuary of that church. The time was 2:30, but cars started pouring into the village long before that time, quickly filled the parking lots of both the celebrating church and the United Missionary church, streets were lined, in fact the town was filled with cars. The seating capacity of the first floor was taxed, including the vestibules.