This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
EARLY STEAM BOAT TRAVEL ON THE OHIO RIVER. BY LESLIE S. HENSHAW, CINCINNATI, OHIO. October, 1911, marks a centennial of considerable importance to the Western country, for it was in that month in 1811, that the first steamboat on Western waters, passed down the Ohio River. The boat, a "side-wheeler",1 was built at Pittsburgh, under the direction of Nicholas J. Roosevelt of New York, an agent of Fulton, the inventor, and Livingston, the financial aid, and was called the "New Orleans."2 It passed Cincinnati on the twenty-seventh of October3 and arrived at Louisville on the twenty-eighth.4 The Cincinnati newspaper, "Liberty Hall", in its issue of Wednesday, October thirtieth, 1811, adds a small note to commercial and ship news to the following effect: "On Sunday last. the steamboat lately built at Pittsburgh passed this town at 5 o'clock in the afternoon in fine stile, going at the rate of about 10 or 12 miles an hour." The water was too low to allow passage over the falls, so to prove that it could navigate against the current, the boat made several trips between Louisville and Cincinnati and, on November twenty-seventh, arrived at Cincinnati in forty-five hours from the falls.5 When the water rose, the "New Orleans" proceeded on its way towards its destination and arrived at Natchez, late in December6 and plied as a regular packet between Natchez and New Orleans for several years. Following the "New Orleans", a group of boats was built at Pittsburgh; the "Comet" under the French patent; the "Vesuvius" and the "Aetna" on the Fulton plan. In the meantime, Brownsville had entered the field as a steamboat building town, for the "Enterprise" was constructed there and later, the engine for the "Washington," under the supervision of Captain Henry M. Shreve, while the boat itself was built at Wheeling. This boat by its voyage in 1817, from Shippingport to New Orleans and back in forty-five days. convinced the skeptical public that steamboat navigation would succeed on Western
latter by Bro. Loesch. Thus three or four brethren will always be on guard at night. At midnight a drunken Irishman came to us and lay down at our fire, but he did not disturb our rest. Bro. Gottlob had hung his hammock between two trees and rested in it very well. On October 13, after eating some soup, we continued our journey. Bro. Grube and Loesch preceded us to the Susquehanna to Harrison's Ferry [Harrisburg]8 to find out how we could cross. Bro. Grube found an opportunity to send a letter with a trader to "Shomoko" [Shamokin]. The Susquehanna is very shallow,9 so that no ferry can cross. We resolved therefore to ford it. The brethren all mounted the wagon and the horses and thus we all passed over safely. The Susquehanna is one mile wide here. Bro. Beroth with his father joined us again. He brought a letter from Bro. Bader, who very much regretted his inability to come and by this letter bade us farewell. Two miles this side of [beyond]10 the Susquehanna we packed everything in our wagon that had been in Bro. Loesch's wagon, which was then sent back. The time had now come for Bro. Gottlob to bid us farewell. But he, like Bro. Haberland, concluded to go with us to North Carolina. We were all delighted with the prospect of so long enjoying the presence of our dear brother. Bro. Gottlob and Nathanael wrote several letters to Bethlehem and gave them to Bro. Merk to deliver. Thtis there returned with the wagon Bro. Merk, the little Joseph Mueller and G. Loesch. The latter wept very much when he took leave of his two brothers. Beroth's father, to whom it was a great pleasure to see the first caravan to Carolina, also bade us a hearty farewell and went back home. The distance from this point to York 8 The site of Harrisburg was settled by John Harris about 1726. Known as Harris's Ferry at least as early as 1753. Laid out as the town of Louisbourg in 1785, incorporated as the borough of Harrisburg in 1791, became state capital in 1812. 9 The fall of the year 1753 must have been an exceptionally dry season. This is indicated by the extreme shallowness of the Susquehanna and other rivers crossed by the Moravian pioneers. 10 The writer always uses the phrase "this side of" from his own point of view at the time being. In most instances, as in the present case, it would be more correct to use "beyond."
same day, crossing the North Branch to reach the South Branch, which two branches form the "Potomack." Towards evening they came to a German, Urbanus Kraemer, who lives on the South Branch. There they remained over night. Major Monday, who had accompanied them thus far, left them, with tears in his eyes, on Monday, July 18th, and returned to Manakesy [Monocacy]. Although he was a man of 66 years of age, he had accompanied them for more than one hundred miles. They continued their journey, passing up along the South Branch, and came to a district where Hollanders have settled, who emigrated from Sopus* [New York]. On Tuesday, July 19th, they came to a German, Matthaeus Joachim, with whom the brethren Gottschalk and Schnell had also stayed. As English settlers live there, interspersed among the Germans, they remained with this man two days. On Wednesday, July 20th, Bro. Joseph preached in his [Joachim's] house, and baptized two children with evident blessing. On July 21st, he preached to a considerable number of people in English, and Bro. Matth. Reuz in German. On July 22d, Bro. Joseph preached again in the house of a German settler. On July 23rd, they continued their journey along the South Branch, almost to the place where it rises and where the most extreme settlements of the Germans are.† They lodged with a German, Christian Evi, where Bro. Joseph preached in German, and also in English, because many English settlers live there. These were the first sermons which "a mundo condito" [from the creation of the world], had been preached there.‡ * Esopus, New York. The Hollanders mentioned were the Van Meters and others, who settled in wIhat is now Hardy county, W. Va., about the year 1744. See West Virginia Historical Mal(azine, Vol. Ill, No. I, p. 50. † The missionaries were now in the extreme southern part of Pendleton county, West Virginia, and near the northern border line of Highland county, Virginia. Seybert's Fort, the scene of a bloody Indian massacre in 1758, was in this neighborhood. See Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, 1912, p. 159. ‡ It is interesting to note that the diary fixes the date of the first religious service held in this section of Virginia.