This blog entry shall deal with finalizing, almost, the lands of Elder Daniel Miller (1755-1822). Elder Daniel owned land that today lies along the Upper Bear Creek Road of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio. When he owned it, and prior to that, the land was owned by Elder Jacob Miller (ca. 1838-1815). Normally to plat land it is fairly easy to transcribe a single deed and overlay that onto high-quality scans of the Montgomery County, Ohio Atlas of 1875. In this instance it is difficult as that particular section, in 1875 versus the early 18th Century, had been cut up into differing tracts. In other words, it was not easily done because of intervening deeds. To rectify this it fell upon me to pull all the deeds, at least those that were recorded for this section, which led to some discoveries.
changed our tent and dug a little ditch around it for the water to run off, but the rain came through the tent so that we becanme thoroughly wet and were kept awake nearly the whole night. On November 10, it began to clear a little. The river rose still higher. We passed our time with drying blankets, mending clothes and darning stockings. We bought several bushels of corn and some meat from our neighbors, who liked our prolonged stay as it netted them some money. In the afternoon we had a little love feast. Bro. Nathanael led the evening worship and we lay down to rest. On November 11, several brethren went to the river early to find out whether we could cross. The river had falletn two feet. A man showed us the ford and I rode through6 first on our white horse. We risked it and drove through safely. The banks were tolerably easy to pass. We then passed through a swamp, but stuck fast in a mud hole for a considerable time. We had much trouble to get out. Mr. Hikki, who lives half a mile from here and keeps a store (which is the nearest house, at which we can buy salt), came to us and showed himself very friendly. We had a miserable road to his house. Here we bought some provisions. A few miles from this place we met a man from North Carolina, who lives not far from our land. We heard from himn that it was known everywhere that we would soon come. He had also heard that we had two ministers with us, which was very good, because they lived almost as wild men and heard nothing of God or his word. They were also pleased to hear that we had a physician with us. We ate our dinner two and a half miles beyond Mr. Hikki, near a little creek. where we found a good pasture. We had had a pretty good road thus far. Then we continued through several mud holes and across steep hills. Every half or quarter of a mile we found water, often close to a deep swamp. In the evening we pitched our tent near a little creek, having traveled to-day eight miles, which was rapid progress. We were glad to have such beautiful and warm weather. At night we cooked Virginia potatoes which tasted very well. 5 This refers to the writer of the diary, wvho was most probably the Rev. B. A. Grube.
stimulation of his firm assurance that all is well here below and all will be better in the world beyond. His life was above reproach, his career an inspiration. None knew him but to love him, none named him but to praise. No organization with which h e was connected seemed to give him greater pleasure than the Archaeological and Historical Society. Its field of investigation, its province of collecting and preserving the records of the past and its work of storing the same for future generations of students, particularly appealed to his intellectual activities and his fondness for knowledge of what has been, what is and what may be. In the pantheon of those who have been most potent in the origin and growth of this Society—the memory of no one will be more permanent or more revered than that of Roeliff Brinkerhoff. SITE OF FORT GOWER. An interesting and in forming volume could be written on Little Journeys to Historic Sites in Ohio, and it is one of the dreams of the Editor of the Quarterly to some day put forth such a volume. Meanwhile, as time permits such "little journeys" are being made. It was on a brilliant day last August (1911) that the Editor "tripped" to what in some respects is one of the most historic sites in Ohio. Many articles have been penned and published on the pioneer forts of Ohio. No state in the Northwest Territory can boast of as many stockades in the early days as can the Buckeye commonwealth. Romantic, dramatic and patriotic are the records of many of them. The French fort of 1745 a t the mouth of the Sandusky, the scene of Nicholas' conspiracy; the stockade defense at Loramie's on the Pickawillany, the scene of the prelude of the contest between the French and the British for the Northwest Territory; the first fort built by the Americans, in the American Revolution, the famous Fort Laurens near the present site of Bolivar; Fort Stephenson (Fremont) on the Sandusky, the scene of the siege of Croghan's little band attacked by Proctor and his British veterans aided by Tecumseh and his horde of western savages, in the War of 1812; there are few stories in warfare equal to it for display of bravery and patriotism. But the fort least known to general history—for it is not mentioned by any of the leading historians—and yet most significant in western annals, for an event connected therewith, is Fort Gower at the mouth of the Hocking, or Hockhocking, as it was once called from the Indian name " Hockin-hockin." It was the year 1774 in the month of June that the English Parliament passed the detested Quebec Act—an affirmation of the previous so-called Quebec Act of 1763. This act of 1774, provided a government for the Province o f Quebec, embracing the territorial domain west and north of the Ohio River—known later as the Northwest Territory.